Page 5 - Visitor Guide 2017
P. 5
final trim



History



Main Street Then Now





















Settlement began
T T T T T T Take a step
In August of 1910, Edson had Take a step ake a step ake a step ake a step ake a step ake a step ake a step
a paltry population of 15, but
through in time through in time through in time through in time through in time through in time through in time
1910 population had skyrocketed to through in time
by March of 1912, the
1233. The main street on which
the station was built evolved,
gaining a two-storey hotel in
1910. The next year, a national Did you know?
bank, a restaurant, a store and
post office as well as an immigration hall all dotted Main
Street's landscape.

On September 21, 1911, Edson was officially
incorporated as a town, and four schools that year were
built to keep up with rising enrollment. By 1912, the
town council had planned an eight-room brick school to
be built at a cost of $60,000. By 1913, Edson had its own
hospital.
Although the railway was the main cause of this
growth, Edson was also an important stopover for
travellers heading from Edmonton to Grande Prairie via
the Grande Prairie Trail.
The local railway yards remained as the critical industry
for Edson—Edson benefitted from increased shipments
of wheat and coal to and from the town. While the coal The town was originally named
industry expanded, so did farming in the area as a
drought in southern Alberta pushed farmers north. Heatherwood, but the name was
After the war, Edson would see new growth with the changed around 1911 in honour of
expansion of the forestry industry and the growth of a Edson Joseph Chamberlin,
new industry, oil.
vice-president of the Grand Trunk
References: Ahlf, Marguerite. Edson – 75 Years: A Pacific Railway.
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10